From Genes to Genomes: Concepts and Applications of DNA Technology Inbunden – 8 Oktober 2002
Det finns en nyare utgåva av den här artikeln:
Although there is an abundance of textbooks that cover introductory genetics and advanced courses in genetics, there is a noticeable gap at the intermediate (second year) level. In the past gene structure, function and expression were taught at final year /postgraduate level, but the rapid advances in our understanding of genetics has encouraged courses to change considerably. Over recent years these topics have filtered down the curriculum and are currently taught as core topics at second year, with a corresponding change in textbook requirements. Where once second year students were restricted to learning about the concept and theory of gene cloning, now they routinely clone genes for themselves as part of their practical assignments.
Genes to Genomics will fill the gap, cover much of the same ground as previous titles, but go further on contemporary topics like transgenics, sequence comparison and analysis of variation.
* A concise, up to date textbook that provides a balanced coverage of traditional and contemporary topics taught within intermediate courses in molecular genetics
* Jeremy Dale has a proven track record as the successful author of Molecular Genetics of Bacteria
* Genes to Genomics will include a series of feature box-outs that will examine some of the topical issues related to the scientific concepts and examples explored within the text
* A range of questions and exercises including worked examples and web-based practicals
* An accompanying web site will allow the authors to keep their audience up to date in the areas that are prone to date most rapidly between successive editions of the textbook. It will also include the illustrations and images from the textbook, in addition to worked examples, answers to questions within the book, and links to related websites of key interest.
"…an introduction to the concept and applications of DNA technologies, and the study of nucleic acids and how this can be used to answer biological questions." (Genetic Engineering News, Vol. 23, No. 13, July 2003)
"...a well-written, short, but comprehensive, introduction...recommended..." (E-Streams, Vol. 6, No. 6)
"...this lucid book provides very nice descriptions of many of the modern methods in molecular biology.." (ASM News, August 2003)
The book opens with a brief review of the basic concepts of molecular biology, before moving on to describe the key molecular methods and how they fit together. This ranges from the cloning and study of individual genes to the sequencing of whole genomes, and the analysis of genome-wide information. Finally, the book moves on to consider some of the applications of these techniques, in biotechnology, medicine and agriculture, as well as in research that is causing the current explosion of knowledge across the biological sciences.
From Genes to Genomes: Concepts and Applications of DNA Technology:
- Introduces key techniques and concepts involved in cloning genes and in studying their expression and variation.
- Provides an accessible introduction to genome sequencing and bioinformatics
- Includes clear two-colour diagrams throughout with an extensive glossary at the end of the book.
- Utgivare : Wiley; 1:a utgåvan (8 Oktober 2002)
- Språk : Engelska
- Inbunden : 372 sidor
- ISBN-10 : 0471497827
- ISBN-13 : 978-0471497820